Did you know that chewing gum can help treat tooth decay when chewed after meals? Although chewing gum may contain ingredients that can help freshen your breath or remove light surface stains, the cavity-fighting properties of gum are attributed to the increase in saliva within your mouth.
For a list of guidelines concerning sugarless gum, consider the following:
– Chewing sugarless gum after meals has clinically proven it can prevent cavities.
– Speak with your dentist about approved chewing gum products, or look for the American Dental Association’s Seal of Acceptance on products.
– It is important that the chewing gum you choose is sugarless because standard gum contains sugars that will simply cancel out any positive benefits the gum can provide.
– The reason sugarless gum has been proven to be so useful is that it stimulates saliva flow in the mouth. Saliva helps wash away food particles and bacteria and can be used to counterbalance acids in the mouth.
– Do not use chewing gum if you are under the influence of any tooth or jaw pain, including bruxism and temporomandibular disorders.
– Sugarless gum is also used for treating health conditions, including for the prevention and treatment of heartburn.
If you are looking for oral health care services in Vestavia Hills, Alabama, Daniel Richards, DMD would love to help. For a more thorough examination to determine which treatment will work best for you, you can schedule an appointment with Dr. Daniel Richards by calling our dentist office at (205) 823-6300. Let us help you get a whiter, brighter smile today!